NAHB Webinars
NAHB hosts Webinars on Wednesdays from 1:00-2:00 p.m. CST

Upcoming Webinars:
Wednesday, Nov. 9th, 2016 - RRP Enforcement:  What to Expect When You're Inspected

Also check out these archived NAHB Webinars

Online Resources
OSHA Education Center
OSHA Website
Wichita State University’s Center for Real Estate

Industry News
NAHB Now:  The National Association of Home Builders' News Blog
2016 Kansas Housing Markets Forecast Series from WSU’s Center for Real Estate

What Permits Do I Need? 
In Kansas there are no state-wide zoning regulations or building permit requirements.  Zoning regulations differ from place to place. If you are planning any alterations or additions to your home, you or your remodeler should check with the local zoning authorities to determine whether the anticipated changes are legal and to find out what permits or permission you need to proceed with the project. 

Building codes are established by most cities, towns and counties and vary considerably from one jurisdiction to another.

As a general rule, a building permit is required whenever structural work is involved or when the basic living area of a home is to be changed. For example, if you have a home with an unfinished basement and would like to finish off a portion of it for a family room, you would need a building permit in most jurisdictions because you have changed the basic amount of living space in your house by converting storage space to "livable" space. In some cases, separate permits for electrical, heating and plumbing work may be required. 

When a government agency issues a permit for home improvement work, a representative will inspect the work when it reaches a certain stage and/or when it is completed to make sure it complies with various codes and regulations. The remodeler is responsible for calling for these inspections.